core projects & achievements
- Set up, and ground work of Waterberg Security Initiative (WSI)
- Support and funding for security equipment and security infrastructure to security community clusters (WSI, Greater Marakele Cluster which includes SANParks Marakele National Park, and Rooiberg Bewaria)
- Support and information given to other clusters who are setting up or implementing their own security enhancements
- Support and funding to the Waterberg Living Museum – to help bring a museum, botanical garden and environmental education centre to the Waterberg.
- Raising funds for local children to visit the Waterberg Living Museum
- Facilitating Tutudesks in local schools https://tutudesk.org/
- R11,3 million raised (~US$808,000).
- R5 million spent directly on security equipment and infrastructure (~US$360,000).
- >800,000 ha under active security monitoring – supported by STWR
- Initiated and set up Waterberg Security Initiative Community Cluster which is now >320,000 ha with 99 members (now an independent self sustaining Not for profit securing the area)
- 2020 the Waterberg became a National Node of importance for rhino security because of the networking, collective collaborations and awareness of the Waterberg for rhinos by STWR and our stakeholders
- Hundreds of children have been taken to see living rhinos from a township where more than 60% of school-aged children have not seen a wild rhino nor visited a wildlife reserve while living in a Biosphere Reserve and surrounded by properties with rhinos and other wildlife.
Creating and promoting awareness
of the rhino poaching crisis